Whole tomatoes and olive oil is the secret to the best pizza tomato sauce that is the perfect consistency. Add garlic, oregano and salt, and you have found the greatest tomato base for your pizza. Save this recipe for later, because you will never again need another pizza tomato sauce recipe!
Tomato Sauce Ingredients
The ingredients are simple:
Can of whole tomatoes (get the good quality kind, trust me)
There are only two steps:
- Open the can of tomatoes and strain them for about 10 minutes. I keep the sauce liquid that strains off for another use later. It keeps in the fridge in a jar for 2-3 weeks.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to your blender with the strained tomatoes and blend until fine.
Tomato Base for Pizza
The reason this recipe works so well, is because the whole tomatoes (with their tasty flesh and pulp) makes a rich blend with the olive oil. The end result is a full smooth sauce that spreads easily on your pizza crust. We have a tasty same day pizza crush recipe here.
The secret is – “The tastier the tomato, the tastier the sauce”.
This goes for any kind of cooking or baking. When your ingredients are wholesome, the flavour and enjoyment ingredients.
We are growing some tomatoes in our garden this year that we hope will replace the whole canned tomatoes that we buy for this recipe. Although, I know we may not always have tomatoes on hand, and when we don’t I will always use canned tomatoes from Italy! I have tried other canned tomatoes from Costco, and they do not meet the mark. The sauce was was watery and devoid of flavour no matter how much spice I added to increase the tastiness. It stayed bland.
One can of tomato sauce usually makes enough sauce for 6 pizzas, and depending on how much you lather onto your crust there may be some leftover. I store the leftovers in the fridge, or freeze the sauce if I know we won’t use it in the next 2-3 weeks.
Feel free to print the recipe below and save it in your recipe stash. If you make this recipe, please return and rate it for future viewers. Thank you!
Tomato Base for Pizza (BEST Sauce!)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 can Canned Whole Tomatoes
- 2 Garlic Clove optional
- 1½ tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Fine Salt
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- Open tomato can and strain the whole tomatoes for 10 minutes (keep sauce for another use another time)
- Add rest of ingredients into a blender with the strained tomatoes and blend until smooth
Pin it for later
Pin this tomato base recipe for another occasion straight to your Pinterest board with this pinball graphic.