This is the season where zucchini’s abound! We took a zucchini along on our sailboat holiday a few weeks ago and my mom-in-law created an impromptu zucchini dish for dinner. Zucchini fried with sausage makes a delectable flavour that pairs well with salad, rice or mashed potatoes.
Ways to Cook a Zucchini
Zucchini can be grilled on a barbecue, fried in batter, sautéed in brown butter, or baked in the oven. Each different style brings out a different taste of the zucchini.
Pan Fried Zucchini
For this meal, we made pan fried zucchini with sausage, kale and relish to make a quick and easy one pan dinner. It took no more than a few minutes to chop all of the contents to add to the pan and fry them together.
What You May Need
Lid or tin foil
½ kg Sausage
A medium Zucchini
1 tbsp Olive Oil
3-4 Kale or Swiss chard leaves
Start by dicing an onion.
Next, heat your pan with olive oil and sauté the onions for about 2-3 minutes on high heat.
While the onions brown, slice your sausages into 2 inches bite sizes.
Then add the sausage with the the onions to sauté together for about 5 minutes on medium-high.
Next, add your relish (or tomato sauce) and stir it into the mix. Continue to sauté for a couple more minutes.
Dice your zucchini into bite sizes, we leave the skin on.
Then, add your zucchini to the pan and stir to mix with the sausage and relish.
Turn the heat down to a simmer while you chop the Kale (or Swiss chard) into fine strips.
Finally, add the Kale on top of everything and cover with lid (or tin foil) to steam for a final 5-7 minutes
Serve and enjoy!
Print this Pan Fried Zucchini Dinner Recipe
If you try this recipe, please give it a rating for future users. Thank you!
Pan Fried Zucchini, Sausage & Relish
- Lid or tin foil
- Chopping Board
- Chopping Knife
- ½ kg Sausage
- 1 medium Zucchini
- 1 can Relish
- 1 Onion
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3-4 Kale or Swiss chard leaves
- Dice Onion
- Heat pan with olive oil and sauté onions (about 2-3 minutes on high)
- Slice sausages into 2 inches bite sizes
- Add sausage and brown with onions (about 5 minutes on medium-high)
- Add the relish and stir into the mix
- Dice zucchini into bite sizes
- Add zucchini to pan and stir to mix
- Turn heat down to a simmer
- Chop Kale (or Swiss chard) into fine strips
- Add Kale on top of everything and cover with lid or tin foil to steam for 5-7 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!
Pin for Later
More Dinner Ideas
- Cottage Pie
- Pot Roast
- Lasagna (takes a little longer but can be quick if you have pre-made mince)
- Boboti (South African Mince Curry) with Yellow Rice
- Beef Heart & Liver Stew